Tuesday, April 23, 2024

My Five News Sources

As a young adult in our society, it is important that I keep up with the world around me. Being educated on political, global, societal and athletic news is a crucial part of becoming a well-rounded person in a community. With social media and technology skyrocketing over the past two decades, there are various ways for the average person to be informed on the latest updates. Everyone has their different methods of gathering information. Today, we are going to take a look at some of my easiest, most-efficient ways of staying on track with the world around me! 





Tik tok is my favorite social media app to gather information from. Some of the reasons I like Tiktok for informative updates is because it is quick, easy to understand and creative. Some young adults in my generation, including myself, will find themselves getting turned away from news articles because they are boring, too long or difficult to comprehend. Tik tok fixes all three of those issues by providing interesting and short videos on your For You Page. Sometimes, I will even come across memes about a topic or issue. Those can be extremely helpful because it is put in simpler terms, which is beneficial to those who don’t want to read a 3-page article. 




ESPN is another great way that I get information, specifically news related to athletics and occasionally, societal issues. Growing up watching sports, ESPN has just always been a channel that was on my family room television. My dad and I would sit and tune in while eating dinner or before and after a sports game we watched. Hearing about recent trades, final scores, crazy plays and any out of the ordinary content throughout the leagues has always been very easy because of ESPN. Additionally, being able to have the app on my phone has been super helpful as well. I have my notifications turned on so that I can get alerted when anything notable takes place. It’s a great way to stay up to date! 



Behind Tik Tok, Instagram is another one of my most used social media apps. Overtime, I have found that Instagram is actually a great way to stay updated with the recent news. Ever since Instagram added the “repost” feature, I am constantly seeing different news articles from various accounts through people that I am following. For example, if I am scrolling through my feed on Instagram and I see news about the upcoming presidential election, I have the option to re-post that specific news on my story. People usually tend to repost things that they have a strong opinion towards or want to spread awareness about. Therefore, if I were to repost recent news about the presidential election, all of my followers will be able to view that content as soon as they click on my profile. To go even further, if one of my followers seemed intrigued by the post that I reposted, they could easily access the original content from the account that published it by just clicking the link on my profile. 

Personally, there have been various issues, situations and news updates that have been brought to my attention through one of my followers reposts. Because it’s impossible to follow every single account on Instagram, I have found myself viewing news through accounts that I have never even heard of before! Instagram has definitely broadened my view on recent social and political events throughout the past year or two. 



My fourth news source that I want to discuss is Fox news. Although I don’t regularly tune into this channel, just like ESPN, it is another channel that is always displayed on the family room television. Occasionally throughout high school, I would sit down next to my dad and watch the Fox News Channel for a bit. Typically, I used to get very bored of the news channel pretty quickly as a kid, so I never liked to keep up. However, as I have gotten older, I learned to change that. My dad would also always get his information from Fox news and would always “dumb down” the information for me when I would watch with him. Now that I am in college, I have downloaded the Fox News app on the Iphone to stay updated. 


Lastly, I love to get my information from Google News. Whenever I do not have my phone or a TV nearby, I like to search the web via Google News. It is quick and efficient, as you are able to type in keywords to find multiple articles about the topic you are looking for. It is a very credible source, as it is described as an online news channel. I only started regularly using google news for my information in high school, and it has truly changed my research for the better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Relationship with Social Media and Technology

For as long as I could remember, social media has always been a part of my life. I have been exposed to the internet and social media since ...